kidnap

TRINIDADEXPRESS – An attempt is being made by the family of one of the six fishermen kidnapped and taken to Venezuela, to raise the US$200,000 ransom demanded.The family is trying to selling a partially completed house in Morne Diabo before the deadline of Friday.

If the money is not paid, the kidnappers have threatened to dismember fishermen Jason O’Brian, 38, Jude Jaikaran, 16, Jerry O’Brian, 36, Brandon Arjoon, 28, Linton Manohar.

The Express was told that a sixth man was also abducted and is with the group. His name has been given as Ricky Rambharose, of Fyzabad.  

All six were kidnapped while fishing in the waters off the south coast near the fishing village of Morne Diablo and taken to Venezuela.

Near midnight on Sunday, Manohar contacted his brother, saying they had been taken by Spanish-speaking men. +4 

A voice note was sent later that night. The voice was identified as Manohar, pleading with the relatives to raise the money to bring them home.

He said, “Organise and see if you all could make up the money by tomorrow. Tell Jude mother and Brandon mother and organise US$200,000 by Friday. Sell all the vehicles and sell the house. The man and them serious. If they don’t hear from you all by tomorrow, they cutting off one of my hand and one of Jerry hand.”

A male voice was heard in the background prompting Manohar.

He said the family would be contacted again.

Police Commissioner Gary Griffith says everything is being done to get the men back home.