1. Generally clear views of the volcano indicate that the damage to the vegetation due to acidic gases
continue to creep downslope.
2. The monitoring team spent the entire day at the Belmont Observatory involved in further
preparation of the facility for eventual full-time occupation by monitoring scientists.
They also spent time sorting equipment for eventual field deployment.
3. NEMO and the SRC will be hosting a Virtual Community Meeting with residents of Georgetown
on Tuesday 26th January, 2021, beginning at 6:00 p.m. to update residents on the latest
development at the La Soufriere Volcano and to discuss the Georgetown Community Evacuation
Plan. This meeting will be broadcast live on NBC Radio, VC3 TV, NEMOSVG Facebook Live,
UWI Seismic YouTube Channel and UWI TV Global.
4. Alert level remains at Orange. The volcano continues to exude magma on the surface and steam
can still be observed from the Belmont Observatory. Persons living in areas close to the volcano
should expect strong sulphur smells for several days to weeks, depending on changes in wind
5. The National Emergency Management Organisation is reminding the public that no
evacuation order or notice has been issued.
6. NEMO continues to appeal to the public to desist from visiting the La Soufrière Volcano,
especially going into the crater, since doing so is extremely dangerous.
7. NEMO will continue to provide regular updates on all activities taking place at La Soufriere.
In 2006 I had the privilege to accompanied a vulcanist in Georgetown and outlying districts to interview old people who remembered the 1979 eruptions. I listened to about a hundred relays of information over a week long survey. That is why I perhaps as well as anyone know the folly of building the specialist medical where they built it. I spent a month researching that eruption with the vulcanist, looking at all written records, all government papers. That how I know about the heros who travelled into an unknown situation to rescue old people from the eruption. People like Gregory Ferrari who worked tirelessly with his own car.
That is why I saw the lists of all the families that donated and what they donated. That is how I know that the one persons family who never gave a cent, and you can I am sure guess who that was, but not wanting to be accused of political assassination I will say no more about him or his family.