Kingstown, SAINT VINCENT AND THE GRENADINES, July 15, 2021 – On Wednesday, 14th July 2021, the Ladder Foundation SVG hosted the inaugural GECCU Spelling Bee Competition. Students from primary schools across Saint Vincent and the Grenadines participated in three rounds of competition: The Maureen Kennedy Preliminary Round, The Arlette Miller Semi-Final Round, and The René Baptiste Final Round.
From the 22 participating schools in the Maureen Kennedy Preliminary Round of Competition, ten students advanced to the Arlette Miller Semi-Final Round:
- Macey Jackson – Barrouallie Government School
- Citron Williams – Biabou Methodist School
- Talyah Diamond – Clare Valley Primary School
- Terecia Ross – Gomea Methodist School
- Raychad Arrindell – Kingstown Anglican School
- Jadon Fraser – Kingstown Preparatory School
- Jhamari Henry – Lowmans Leeward Anglican School
- Chayah Charles – Mustique Primary School
- Azaria Kenya Lewis – St. Mary’s Roman Catholic School
- Micah Jack – Windsor Primary School
Immediately following the Arlette Miller Semi-Final Round of Competition, five students advanced to the René Baptiste Final Round of Competition. In fifth place was Jhamari Henry from the Lowmans Leeward Anglican School while in fourth place was Chayah Charles from the Mustique Primary School. In 3rd place was Azaria Kenya Lewis from the St. Mary’s Roman Catholic School while the 2nd place position went to Citron Williams of the Biabou Methodist School. The winner of the competition was Raychad Arrindell from the Kingstown Anglican School.
All participants in the competition received tokens of support from the General Employees Cooperative Credit Union with the top ten students receiving cash vouchers for the opening of Junior Savers accounts at the General Employees Cooperative Credit Union. The top five students received trophies and the students in the top three received cash prizes valued at $1,000: 1st place – $500, 2nd place – $300, and 3rd place – $200.
Commendations are extended to all students who participated in the competition.