GUYANA CHRONICLES- EIGHT persons have been rendered homeless after a fire destroyed their home at Block 12, Nonpareil, East Coast Demerara on Saturday.
Earl Brown and his family were left in shock after the inside of their house went up in flames early in the afternoon.
His wife, who was home at the time, said the fire of unknown origin started at the back of the house.
“I was trying to get the passport, but the fire start spreading and I had to pick up my children and run,” Mrs Brown said.
Quick response from firefighters saved the exterior of the house, but most of what was inside was destroyed.
The Browns occupied the home with their four children, while there were two persons occupying a section at the back of the house, which was also destroyed in the blaze.
Mrs. Brown said her family has been living on the property for more than two decades. The losses, she said, are tremendous.
“I don’t know what to do now; this was my everything and now it’s all gone. I gotta go start over now,” she lamented.
Mr Brown, who is a contractor, said a hard task lies ahead, but he hopes he will manage.