Over the past 50 years or more Union Island has celebrated its fair share of Centenarians Traditionally, these individuals are honored with greetings from Her Majesty the Queen of England and the Government of St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Among them were:
Beatrice Samuel (Si B) died at age 107
Lenora Wilson (Tanty Ma) age 106
Mabelle James, age 103
Constance Scrubb, age 100 +
Janey Stewart-Douglas, age 100
Agustus King Mitchell, age 100
Josephine St. Ignace (daughter of Ma Jo ) born in Union Island and living in Trinidad. age 102.

As we move forward into the 21st century, we are pleased to present to you our newest centenarian Mrs. Ruth Ferary-Mitchell Born 18 April 1920 in Union Island

Mis Ruth or Tanti Ruth as she is fondly called by young and old, was born in Union Island on April 18, 1920. Her parents were: Adelaide (mother Noble) and Jonas Ferary. Her family lived in Jerome and Ruth attended the Ashton Village Government School.

The headmaster at that time was Mr. Archer. Mr. Archer was also the local preacher at the St. Mathias Anglican Choir. where Ruth attended and sang in the Choir. After completing her School Leaving Exam in Standard 6, she went to learn tailoring with Mother Hazell.

Subsequently she learnt dressmaking with Mrs. Mullrain. She became very skilled in sewing and Needle work making pants, jackets and dresses for many people.

There was a need for Midwives in St. Vincent and the Grenadines so Ruth went to St. Vincent in 1946 to do the 6-month Mid-wifrey Course. There were four students in training on the Maternity Ward. One of the requirements was that each student had to deliver 10 babies then take an exam to complete the course. After delivering only 6 babies she was allowed to take the exam and passed it.

She then took the exam to do 3-year program in general nursing. She worked as a nurse for 12 years in St. Vincent first during training at the Colonial Hospital . She also worked as a District Nurse at two clinics, one at Campden Park and the other Lowmans Winward. She worked at the Colonial Hospital Kingstown rising to the esteemed position as Ward Sister.

In 1961 she applied for and was accepted for a nursing position at the Lutheran Hospital in New York. Therefore on 18th November 1961 Ruth resigned from the hospital in St. Vincent. She traveled to New York where she took up the position at the Lutheran Hospital in January 1962. Throughout her career she worked in the Pediatric and Maternity departments She said she enjoyed working in New York. However, she never took a second job as many of her friends did, she did not accumulate a lot of stuff, she never bought a house nor a car.

Her ultimate goal was always to return to Union Island. She recalls some very interesting stories while living in New York. “One night on her way home from work a man tried to rob her, she used her umbrella and broke his arm Ironically, he want to the Emergency Room of the same hospital where she worked to get medical attention.

Ruth Ferary-Mitchell, ward Sister at Colonial Hospital

Ruth learned about this and was extremely amused”. On another occasion she encountered a man who tried to steal her handbag. She tried to ward him off by hitting him with her walking stick. He fell in the snow and was pleading for mercy while returning the purse. It was then she said “its okay take the purse”, knowing that she had her keys and wallet in her pocket. “

Ruth retired in 1985. Around that time she retired she received a love letter from Augustiu King Mitchell stating that he was once again free and single and want to know if she was interested in renewing the past relationship. In her youth King and Ruth were in love with each other. He wanted to marry her but circumstances prevented them from getting married.

Ruth Ferary-Mitchell retires from Lutheran Hospital, Brooklyn

On receiving King’s letter Ruth was more than thrilled and decided to renew their old relationship. She returned to Union Island, they got married, and lived together for more than 30 years. She attributes her long life to her belief in God. She is a faithful member of St. Mathias Anglican Church in Ashton and still sings in the choir from time to time.