Murder-accused prisoners Veron Primus and Ulric Hanson were discovered missing from Her Majesty’s Prison in Kingstown at about 6 a.m last Wednesday, December 9th, but their escape bid began on Sunday 6th December, 2020, according to the police.

When Primus was taken before Senior Magistrate Rickie Burnett at the Kingstown Magistrate Court on Monday, following last Thursday’s recapture, the court heard that head of the Major Crimes Unit (MCU) Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Elgin Richards investigated the breakout.

The court heard that Primus was housed at B Block at the prison and on Sunday 6th December, 2020, during the day, he went to Star Class Block and slept there the night. The following day, he went back to his cell.

On Tuesday 8th December, he again went to Star Class Block again after lunch. At around 3 p.m, when security checks were being made, Primus went into the toilet as if he was using it. The prisoners were taken from that cell block.

The court heard that prison officer Springer then shouted: “Who there?” referring to the person in the toilet.

“Another prisoner,” Primus replied.

It is alleged that after the prisoners returned to their cells, Primus and another prisoner, believed to be Hanson, moved the bunk bed to an area below the roof where there was a leak and they tied sheets to the bed and the roof to bar the view. They subsequently escaped.

The court heard that prison officer corporal McFee and five other prison officers worked the shift from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m, having taken over duties from prison officer corporal Dabreo and that security checks were made at half-hour intervals.

At about 3 a.m on Wednesday 9thDecember, senior prison officer Alexander returned to the prison for duties and corporal McFee took some prisoners to work in the kitchen.

About two hours later, Mc Fee and Campbell took some other prisoners to work in the kitchen, the bakery and the workshop.

All seemed well then, but at about 5:42 a.m., Mc Fee and Campbell were in the prison yard when they received information relating to a cell in Star Class block. He court heard that Campbell went to the cell. He saw white bed sheets hanging from the roof to a bunk bed.

Corporal McFee was informed and when he went to the bed and pulled the sheet, he saw a gaping hole in the roof of the prison building.

The court also heard that Senior Prison Officer Alexander and the hierarchy of the prisons were informed of the situation and the Superintendent of Prisons made a report to the police around 9 a.m. that day.

Primus and Hanson were arrested at a house in Lowmans Leeward on Thursday 10th December at about 9:30 a.m, where Primus’ friend ShadeneFarrel lived.

Farrel was sentenced to one year in prison last Friday when she appeared before the Kingstown Magistrate Court and pleaded guilty to the charge that between December 9th and 10th, at Lowmans Hill, knowing Primus and Hanson to be guilty of escaping lawful custody, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, did an act to impede their apprehension or prosecution.

Last Thursday, Farrel had gone to Kingstown where she purchased a Digicel phone for Primus who had given her $150 to buy it.

Subscribe for News updates

Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications when new stories are posted.